Kwanzaa (or Kwaanza) is a week-long festival celebrated primarily in the United States, honoring African American heritage. It is observed from December 26 to January 1 each year.
Kwanzaa consists of seven days of celebration, featuring activities such as candle-lighting and pouring of libations, and culminating in a feast and gift giving. It was created by Dr. Ron Karenga, and first celebrated from December 26, 1966, to January 1, 1967, timed to coincide with Christmas so that it would be remembered. Dr. Karenga calls Kwanzaa the African American branch of “first fruits” celebrations of classical African cultures.
Inspirational Kwanzaa Quotes
- The fact that there is nowhere on the African continent a holiday named Kwanzaa … Kwanzaa is an Afro-American holiday which by its very definition reflects the dual character of the identity and experience of the Afro-American people. -Maulana Karengas
- Kwanzaa is a special time to remember the ancestors, the bridge builders, and the leaders. – Dorothy Winbush Riley
- Kwanzaa does not replace Christmas and is not a religious holiday. It is a time to focus on Africa and African-inspired culture and to reinforce a value system that goes back for generations. – Eric V. Copage
- The seven principles of Kwanzaa — unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity and faith — teach us that when we come together to strengthen our families and communities and honor the lesson of the past, we can face the future with joy and optimism. – President Bill Clinton
- Kwanzaa is essentially a family holiday, whether it be the nuclear family, the extended family, or the communal family. – Jessica B. Harris
- The ultimate destiny and aspiration of the African people and twenty million American Negroes are magnificently bound up together forever. – Lorraine Hansberry
Incoming Quotes Search Terms:
- kwanzaa quotes, \Quotes about life, responsibility quotes tagalog, inspirational quotes for kwanzaa, kwanzaa for life text, Maulana Karenga Quotes